Gibson Lane is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected.
GDPR (General Data Protection Regulations) May 2018
Gibson Lane respect and value the security and privacy of those of its contacts. Gibson Lane follows strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of personal information in order to prevent unauthorised access. Personal Data is held on our contacts and administration database either because of work we have undertaken or are currently engaged in, or because we believe that clients may be interested in receiving material from us about our business and services. As such we hold client contact details and the history of our client relationship. This allows us to manage our client relationships effectively and target items of interest so that you do not receive unwanted material through the post. In accordance with your rights under the Act, you may request the amendment of the personal information held or to cease receiving direct marketing materials. Gibson Lane does not sell, rent or deal in the personal information we hold.
Gibson Lane Limited is a controller of any personal information collected through our website, email, by phone or face to face.
Personal Information we collect from you
Personal Information” is any information that relates to you and identifies you personally. We will collect various types of personal information such as your name/s, e-mail addresses and contact telephone numbers (including Sensitive Data and financial detail regarding your property requirements). Such information will generally be collected when you register on our website, by email, by telephone or face to face. By submitting your information, you consent to the use of that information as set out in this Policy.
Dependent on the service you require Gibson Lane to provide you, additional information may be required:
If you are Selling or Letting a property, this is set out in our terms of business and will be sent to you for your approval and signature.
If you decide to Rent through Gibson Lane, we will require additional information as follows:
- Employment status
- Details of all potential tenants involved in the tenancy
- You will be asked for your card details to take a holding deposit and allow you time to go through the referencing process. (A tenants guide will be provided to explain in further detail)
- If you are a tenant renting under the ‘Right to Rent’ scheme we are required to ask for additional information to include: residence card, your immigration status and/or your birth certificate to carry out our required checks under this scheme.
If you are Buying a property and wish to purchase through Gibson Lane we will require further information as follows:
- When you make an offer through Gibson Lane we will collect further personal information to help negotiate the purchase of a property on your behalf. An offer application form will be supplied for your approval and consent.
- We may need to pass your personal details to a financial advisor to qualify your offer on a property. We will always gain your consent before doing this.
How Gibson Lane use and process your Personal Information
Your personal information is saved in our secure data systems and used for the purpose of your property search, the sale or rental of your property and any legitimate interest regarding your property requirements.
Under the General Data protection regulations, we are only permitted to use your personal information if we have a legal basis for doing so. Such basis are mentioned below:
- For employment-related purposes.
- Any contract Gibson Lane have entered into with yourselves.
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
- Where the processing is necessary for Gibson Lane to carry out legitimate interests, provided that your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests, these include:
- Processing that is necessary for us to promote our business, brands and products and measure the reach and effectiveness of our campaigns. – this will include sending you marketing information from time to time after you have engaged us to provide services or received services from us either which may be similar and of interest to you or where you have expressly indicated that you would like to receive such information. You have the right to opt out of receiving this information at any time.
- Processing that is necessary to improve our knowledge of the real estate sector – this will include undertaking market analysis and research so that we better understand trends in the property sector and provide better knowledge along with more tailored and relevant services for our customers in the future.
- Processing necessary for us to operate the administrative and technical aspects of our business efficiently and effectively – this will include: verifying the accuracy of information that we hold about you and create a better understanding of you as a customer; processing for administrative efficiency purposes such as where we outsource certain administrative functions to third parties who are specialise in such services; processing for network and information security purposes i.e. in order for us to take steps to protect your information against loss, damage, theft or unauthorised access or to comply with a request from you in connection with the exercise of any of your rights outlined below.
In more limited circumstances we may also rely on the following legal bases:
- Where we need to protect your interests (or someone else’s interests); and/or
- Where it is needed in the public interest or for official purposes
We may process special categories of personal information and criminal conviction information in the following limited circumstances:
- With your explicit consent, in which case we will explain the purpose for which the information will be used at the point where we ask for your consent.
We send out an email to potential buyers and tenants containing properties that match your search criteria to the latest email address you supplied to us. To opt out of receiving these, a customer can follow the unsubscribe instructions on these emails or send an email to email@example.com.
How long we keep information for:
We only keep your information for as long as necessary. We generally keep personal information for 7 years after last contact with you and in accordance with our regulated obligations.
In addition to help you with a property related service we must comply with certain regulations for example the “Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds Regulations 2017. Gibson Lane are required to obtain certain information from you to comply with these regulations.
The information provided will only be used by Gibson Lane in relation to complying with the Regulations and will not be shared with any other party outside of the company unless we are required to do so under law. If you decide to enter in to a business relationship with Gibson Lane, to comply with certain regulations we will require two separate Identification documents: (One photo ID and one address ID required)
Proof of ID
- Valid Passport
- Valid full UK photo driving licence
- Local authority council tax bill (dated within the last 12 months).
- Utility Bill (dated within the last 3 months)
Your Rights and Choices
Your rights, regarding the sensitive / personal information we hold about you, enables you to exercise what personal information we collect, how we use that information, and how we communicate with you. If you wish to contact us about this please email GDPR@gibsonlane.co.uk
Update and correct inaccuracies in your personal information
If you feel that any of the personal information we hold about you is incorrect or inaccurate, you can contact Gibson Lane advising us of the information you feel is incorrect or inaccurate and have this amended. Please email us at: GDPR@gibsonlane.co.uk
Opting out of processing
You can ‘opt out’ to the collection of your personal information and you can at any time tell us not to send you marketing communications by the means of:
• e-mail GDPR@gibsonlane.co.uk
• Opt out’ via our contact / email pages on our website www.gibsonlane.co.uk
Withdrawal of consent
If we obtain your information by consent you have the right to withdraw any consent you previously provided to us.
If we process your information under legitimate interest you can object at any time on legitimate grounds, to the processing of your personal information.
The right to consent removal may be limited in some circumstances by local law requirements and you will be informed appropriately.
How to contact Gibson Lane
If you would like to contact us with any queries, comments or feedback please send an e-mail to GDPR@gibsonlane.co.uk
Or you can write to us:
GDPR Officer, Gibson Lane, 34 Richmond Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT2 5ED
Gibson Lane Limited is registered in England (registered number 5373886).
Our registered office is at 34 Richmond Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT2 5ED.